Qualified appraisers who write qualified reports
Qualified appraisers who write qualified reports
Certified by multiple national agencies, A-Z Appraisal & Estate Consultants are an industry leader in providing highly detailed reports for all types of valuables
A-Z Appraisal & Estate Consultants understands how important it is for you to have an accurate appraisal of your belongings. That’s why we are committed to following the Uniform Standards of Professional Appraisal Practice (USPAP) which were specifically established by Congress in 1989 to ensure that all appraisals are compliant and reliable. Our team is highly trained and certified in USPAP standards, so you can trust that your appraisal will be handled with the utmost care and professionalism.
As nationally endorsed and certified personal property appraisers by the International Society of Appraisers (ISA), the American Society of Appraisers (ASA), and the Certified Appraisers Guild of America (CAGA), we take great pride in our commitment to providing accurate, reliable appraisals that meet or exceed expectations. We understand the importance of our work and the trust that our clients place in us to deliver thorough and accurate reports.
Our appraisers possess a wealth of knowledge and experience in assessing a variety of items, ranging from antiques, jewelry, firearms, and automobiles to many other items. With their expertise, you can trust that you are receiving an accurate and reliable appraisal.
At A-Z Appraisals, we are proud to be the only appraisal company with four ISA certified appraisers throughout the United States. Our network connections mean we can help you out no matter where you are. If you’re not located in an area that we can service directly, we can connect you with someone who is closer to you.
Empathy and Understanding
We strive to demonstrate understanding and compassion when dealing with sensitive and difficult family matters. Our commitment to treating all parties involved with respect and kindness sets us apart from the rest.
Frequently Asked Questions
We have appraised all sorts of items! Below is a list of some of the things we get the most requests for:
- Art and Decorations
- Rugs and Tapestries
- Awards and medals
While we are based out of Phoenix, we are happy to provide services across Arizona and beyond. We frequently travel to Chandler, Gilbert, Mesa, Tucson, Glendale, and Scottsdale, as well as various cities in California and New Mexico. Some home appraisals have required more distant trips, which we are open to. If you have any questions about our services, please do not hesitate to get in touch. We are here to help!
It is always best to share the following information to help facilitate expenses and time:
- What is the purpose of the report?
- What is the intended use of the appraisal?
- Which items are involved, and what is their location?
- What is the level of documentation required?
To prepare for your appraisal:
- Gather documentation. This may include sales receipts, certificates, past appraisals, letters, or other authentication.
- Have items ready, unlocked, and available. If items are part of a set, like candlesticks or silverware, have them grouped together.
- Clean the items. To ensure an accurate inspection and successful photography, it is important to remove any dust or dirt that may be obscuring the item.
- For an appraisal involving furniture, if possible, pull it away from the wall to allow better inspection.
An appraisal that is done thoroughly and without interruption helps both the client and the appraiser.
Examination: The appraiser examines all the property to be included in the final report, noting and evaluating characteristics, conditions, and measurements of most items.
Photographs: Digital images are taken to document the item’s existence and aid in research. These photographs are included in the final report.
Research: Each item is studied and researched to determine its value based upon comparable sales and histories. Research time may include identification of marks, labels, dates, and locations; analysis of comparable items; market research; and expert consultation.
Reporting: The final report from A-Z Appraisal & Estate Consultants consists of a bound copy of the completed appraisal along with the appraiser’s qualifications, purpose, and basis of appraisal. The report includes the inventory, market research, valuation, and necessary comments pertinent to the property. Each item or group of items has a description, age (if appropriate), measurements, condition, value, and photograph. All A-Z Appraisal reports are compliant with the Uniform Standards of Professional Appraisal Practice (USPAP).
A-Z Appraisal & Estate Consultants specialize in several types of appraisals, including the following:
- Insurance appraisals provide necessary documentation to substantiate the existence, condition, and replacement value of your belongings. It is wise to have an update done every five years or ahead of any pending household move.
- Estate appraisals are necessary for taxable estates. This appraisal includes an efficient catalog of property that meets IRS requirements, but without the level of detail normally provided for an insurance appraisal.
- Donation appraisals are suggested by the IRS to substantiate a tax deduction above $1000. Donation appraisals are REQUIRED for anything above $5000 that has been given to a charitable institution. A-Z Appraisal’s advice: When in doubt, appraise.
- Pre-move appraisals provide an inventory of your high value items to substantiate both their value and existence. Due to the limited level of protection provided by moving companies to account for damage or loss, these appraisals will help you to purchase additional insurance and recover any damages incurred during the move.
- Equitable distribution appraisals help settle divorces or estates for fair distribution of property based on fair market value.
- Trust or will inventory appraisals will be attached to the trust or will, and a copy will be given to the trust attorney. They will now have knowledge of your property, and with your comments on the report, they will know who is to inherit which items.
For additional information about what is involved for each of these appraisals, please check out our Services page.
Full appraisal services should only be conducted by educated and nationally certified appraisal experts. That expert will provide you with a formal written and descriptive report, complete with photos, and they should be willing to defend their assessment in court. The report should include any limiting or qualifying conditions, the appraiser’s qualifications, a complete and accurate description of the items, market analysis, markets selected, and well-defined value conclusions.
Appraisals are essential in today’s complex and complicated world. The following are some common examples of when an appraisal should be obtained:
- settling estates for taxes, equitable distribution, or liquidation
- documenting donations for charities and IRS verification
- verifying values for scheduling replacement or loss for insurance
- valuing for property settlement due to divorce
- documenting support for trusts with a comprehensive inventory appraisal added to the trust
An appraisal is a professional assessment of property to determine fair market value. Assessments are most often used for tax and insurance purposes or in estate planning or wills.
Being an appraiser is not an exact science, so it is essential for personal property appraisers to stay up-to-date in their profession by maintaining valid credentials with a professional appraiser association and engaging in regular continuing education. Additionally, it is important for appraisers to follow the strict codes of conduct and standards of report writing that are established for the profession.
We Generate Results for Our Clients
We generate results for our clients
When I retired, I chose Tom Helms to take over any client leads. I can recommend him with full confidence for his professional expertise.
Charles F. Finch
Certified appraiser (retired)
A-Z Appraisal are remarkable in their sincerity and their honest ability to always put the needs and interests of their clients first — actually before their own.
Retired high school principal
When I met Tom, he was everything I was told he would be. He handled the estate of these clients professionally, thoroughly, and respectfully. I wholeheartedly recommend the services of Tom Helms and A-Z Appraisal and Estate Consultants.